Monday, December 29, 2008

Endings, Beginnings and Creative Freedom

Calendars are a way of marking time. It's the end of another year, which means it's the beginning of the next. Nothing ends without something else beginning. Seasons move from one to the next, rhythms and cycles of nature, day and night, and so forth.

So as this year comes to an end, I'm trying to look back at what I've accomplished this past year, and look forward to what I would like to do in the next. I didn't get some things done that I had hoped to in 2008, but I went in a different direction. After all, nothing in my plans is carved in stone. That's the beauty of setting my own goals. If I get distracted along the way, as I so frequently am, I just find myself moving in a different direction. Sometimes it's simply a distraction and I will eventually turn and find my way back, but other times, it's something new and exciting that I wasn't aware existed until I stumbled across it.

Creative freedom - to be able to move from one thing to another when the interest is there, or when something new is discovered, is such bliss.

I have an idea where I'd like to go in 2009, and I will head in that direction. There is no guarantee, I won't deviate from the path, however. I love that part of being an artist. There's always a surprise waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment