Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A 60 Year Celebration

Today is my parents 60th wedding anniversary. We celebrated last Saturday with a reception. Family came from all over. It was the first time in many years that all four of their grandchildren and both of their great grandchildren were present at the same time.

I keep thinking about the longevity of this relationship and the partnership they have formed over these many years. There's an interdependence that exists between these two, who have complete trust and reliance on each other. They make a good pair. Not many can celebrate this milestone. (Perhaps that's why I could find nothing in the stores to say congratulations on 60 years. No cards, no napkins, no invitations.)

Aging is not for the weak, they tell me, and I laugh at the irony of that statement. But as I watch them move through their daily lives, and experience the many losses that come with age, I also witness a grace that has come upon them. One that gives thanks for the abilities that remain, and the gift of still having one another in this life.

For all this, I am very thankful.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to your parents! My hubby and I are celebrating our 22nd today and can't imaging being married for so many years. Blessings to them and to you too!

    ReplyDelete