Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Road Less Traveled

I love road trips. Not only do I enjoy driving, but I love being able to see the countryside along the way. I'll take interstate highways when I have to, but I prefer roads less traveled. They take you through the heart of the country. Passing through towns and cities, one is forced to slow down. Watching people as they do their daily work in their environment, while I remain somewhat invisible - just a passing car, from out of state no less - gives me a glimpse of life in that place. While it is only a glimpse, I can learn much. Does the town seem to be thriving, or does it look a little dilapidated and in need of more commerce? What might be the main industry here? In smaller towns, one can usually surmise that it's the agriculture surrounding it, that keeps the businesses afloat. But what of the midsized towns? I look for clues as I drive through.

Tasting my way across country is always fun, too. I prefer locally owned establishments to chain restaurants. I'll eat at the chains if there's nothing else, but I like asking someone who lives there, where they like to eat. I've found some gems in unlikely places.

I'm heading out for a road trip. In the next two weeks, I'll be blogging about where I am and what I'm doing. My destination is Hudson Valley, NY for a week long fiber art workshop. I'll be blogging about that, too. The entire experience is food for creativity. My camera will be busy. So check back frequently. Find out what little gems I may discover along the way.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a little bit north of the Hudson Valley so welcome to our lovely state and I hope you have a terrific workshop and week!

    ReplyDelete